Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2011
253 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 23, 2024 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalcat View Post
Hi retro chic, I am new here but have been reading the forum for a while before joining and followed your story. Maybe something that could help is is your therapist makes you some audio flashcards. They are a thing in schema therapy, an audio recording of the therapist saying something helpful for a particular situation that the client can listen to on their phone if they experience that situation and need a bit of help doing the adaptive behaviour that has been worked on instead of the maladaptive one that they really want to do. If your therapist could give you one to listen to when you feel the urge to look up something on social media, perhaps the combination of whatever helpful words she has to say that will help you not do it, plus the sound of her voice that will give you the feeling of connection (which is probably the need that is driving you to do it), might help you with it.

I have a strong feeling about finding pictures of mine but it is the complete opposite direction to your experience! The clinic sent a Christmas email to the clients, with a link to its Facebook page. I went to it and had a look. Lots of posts about their new premises and the new things they were doing which they were proud of, and I thought it was nice. But then when one of the photos had my therapist in it I had an extremely negative reaction. I don’t know what the feeling was exactly but it made me close the Facebook app immediately and then go back to my email in an attempt to not think about it. I can’t explain why but I just really really do not want to see her face.
My T is a psychoanalyst. Psychoanalysis doesn't view symptoms as something negative that need to be changed as soon as possible (like behavioural therapies do). It views symptoms as messengers delivering information about the patient and the therapy is about understanding what these messages mean. It sounds like you are lacking insight into your own experience despite so-called "tools" being provided to you...
retro_chic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight