Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2011
253 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 24, 2024 at 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalcat View Post
I don’t really understand what you mean.

You want to stop looking up your therapist online, but there is a reason you are doing so - you can’t just stop because you want to (otherwise addictions wouldn’t be a thing). Finding out what the need is that’s being fulfilled by doing it, and meeting that need in another way, is probably the only way to do that (besides having someone else control all your internet and device use - which would be unpleasant in itself and also leave the need unfulfilled which would be painful). Someone else suggested asking her for photos you can look at, but you weren’t sure about that. My suggestion of an audio flash card was along the same lines (having photos to look at or her voice to listen to could meet the same need).

“Symptoms and messages” sounds like just another way to say finding out what your needs are. It sounds to me from your posts that it is connection you’re after, but maybe you think it is a different need. Hopefully you can make sense of it eventually, then you and your therapist can work out a way to get that need met ☺️
The whole concept of the therapist "saying something helpful" to make the patient to change their behaviour is incongruent with psychoanalysis. Substituting one behaviour for another does not resolve the core issue. I want to stop the behaviour because I feel guilty and ashamed about it but the work stops there if I just substitute the behaviour with something that I think my T "approves" of more.
retro_chic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight