Tart Cherry Jam
Magnate

Member Since Mar 2021
1,211 hugs
given
Default Feb 24, 2024 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheRainbow View Post
How do you recommend increasing protein? I really struggle with this. I'm not vegetarian but vastly prefer vegetables and fruit. I still eat meat 4-5 times weekly (I'm guessing). I get about 4-8 oz of milk daily and eat at least 1, sometimes 2 servings of cottage cheese and/or Greek yogurt daily.I eat some cheese daily; amount varies. My treat food has 4 g of protein per serving and it's low cal so I eat maybe 3/day. But I still am consistently low on protein and since I'm trying to fight off a diabetes diagnosis I really need more. I just struggle with increasing protein without sending my calories sky-rocketing.

Thanks!
It is a challenge indeed. Some suggestions:

-- Whey protein powder: Amazon.com Nutricost Whey Protein

The package says take 1 scoop a day, but my registered dietitian OK'd my using it twice a day. I do not use it everyday, but I will make it a goal to increase protein.

I normally use it in a smoothie. I put some frozen raspberries into the blender, add 2 tbsp chia seeds, 2 tbsp flax seed that I first grind in a spice grinder, some plain kefir, some plain nut milk (just nuts and water without any additives, from Nuts.com), and a scoop of this powder. It is palatable enough. I wish I could add more raspberries but the dietitian said not to.

I also mix it with farmers' cheese and you can try mixing it with cottage cheese. Maybe not even the whole scoop but half of it. It is worth experimenting with.

-- Milk: switch to Fairlife ultrafiltered milk (advice from an RD). It has more protein than usual milk with half as much sugar and carbs. It tastes just the same. It is more expensive, but the price is worth the nutritional benefit of it.

-- Greek yogurt is high in protein. Icelandic yogurt called Skyr is also high and sometimes even higher. With them, it pays to read the labels at the grocery stores to pick the one with the most protein per serving. There is usually a spread of several grams among brands. Picking the highest protein content brand typically does not result in your consuming any more calories.

-- For my post workout drink, I use Fairlife protein chocolate shake. It has 26 g of protein per serving and is delicious chilled. I buy them in bulk from Amazon. Here is the link: Amazon.com Core Power Protein Shake Chocolate
It is also available in vanilla which I have not tried and in strawberry banana which I have tried and found artificially tasting.

-- Do you not eat eggs at all?

Geodon 40 mg
Seroquel 75 mg
Lybalvi 5 mg as a PRN

Gabapentin 1200 mg, Vitamin B-complex (against extrapyramidal side effects)

Long term side effects from medications some of them discontinued:
- hypothyroidism
- obesity

Suspected narcolepsy

Treated with Ritalin 5mg
Tart Cherry Jam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
BeyondtheRainbow

Thanks for this!
BeyondtheRainbow, unaluna