View Single Post
Brentus
Veteran Member

Member Since Apr 2021
962 hugs
given
Default Feb 26, 2024 at 04:19 PM

Hi there @Tart Cherry Jam,
I know this was posted a while back, but I thought I'd try to get a response in for you. I am diagnosed with both ADHD and Bipolar. Stimulant meds can be a bit tricky -- sometimes it's dose related, sometimes it's a need for a different medication. I was wanting to check in and see how you are doing on it? 5mg I think is the lowest dose for Dexedrine(dextroamphetamine), so if you're still having problems with that maybe you could talk to your doctor about maybe trying Adderall (Dextroamphetamine-amphetamine) (a combination drug of dextro- and levo- amphetamine; has a different effect profile than straight dexedrine), or perhaps try Ritalin based drugs (methylphenidate drugs).

In general, amphetamine based stimulants are going to be more potent, and actually create a efflux of dopamine out of the cell. Methylphenidate doesn't cause the efflux of or "rushing out of dopmaine", but does increase it in the synpatic cleft. If your issues are feeling hypomanic and can't sleep-- I'd say you'd be better to try a ritalin based product OR attempt Adderall or even racemic amphetamine (50/50 Dextro- and levo- amphetamine) called Evekeo. Also, I can attest to a lot of the issues with sleep and hypomanic feelings tend to wane with a little time. Has your medicine been working for the narcolepsy well? Are you tolerating it? Have the issues you had subsided?

Anyway, I hope you find this helpful. for ADHD, narcolepsy, and all things stimulant related -- there is are TONS of options out there. Don't get discouraged. It's a trial and error, both dosage and type of med. I hope you find yours soon.

I should mention there are some nacrolepsy specific "wake-inducing agent" meds to try as well.