View Single Post
Violetta75

Member Since Apr 2022
201 hugs
given
Default Feb 28, 2024 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechu View Post
You've gotten some good advice. They're adults and shouldn't control what you want to do.

As someone who has lived abroad several times and who is doing it now, I just wanted to say, I hope you are researching the practical side of things. First of all, what are the visa regulations where you will be staying? A lot of countries don't just let you stay for a year on a tourist visa. And, if you will be working, you'd need a visa/work permit for that. The laws for getting one vary by country. Finally, make sure you have some savings in case things don't work out and you want to come back.

Thanks, this has been an idea for 2 yrs. This past year it was hard to figure out if I really wanted to do this, I could have gone back last April but I had just came back a year ago in February. I needed to figure out what I really wanted to do, work, or pay for the tourist visa type thing.. it's a fee, it's not huge but has gone up a lot over the years. It's working out to about the same price for rent I pay where I currently live in Canada. I also have a car to either sell or give to my older to take care of.

I do have savings, and if I like it after a year I could become a resident. I might not, it takes time to really know the weather, how I feel about it. Time goes fast, as I was gone, my oldest got engaged. It is something that makes me want to stay in Canada, but when/if he gets married I can fly back.

My younger is still not on his feet but he has to. If he doesn't now, he never will and will expect handouts. He's worked before...I understand depression myself, but working helps to distract and feel good, as he did before making his own money. My hope is he will realize this... and get a job. He said he's looked where he was working before making a good wage, they aren't hiring right now. I said try next week, and look at other places too. Thanks for everyone's replies.

Life is short. I loved it.. sunshine, sea air... I just can't help but wish they could, especially the younger, enjoy sunshine too. But he know's he could come visit. The older has a passport. And no, they know from pictures the country, they wouldn't move there. I don't know yet but I'm hoping to go back in about 2 months.
Violetta75 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
eskielover, unaluna