Thread: Diagnosis?
View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,430 hugs
given
Default Mar 01, 2024 at 11:13 AM

I read an article that said that people with an arrest history often get improperly diagnosed with ASPD. According to this writer, a lot of these individuals actually have borderline personality disorder. Those two disorders are very different from each other.

I think chronic suicidality should be a diagnosis all to itself in addition to whatever other diagnoses a person might have. Maybe it is, but I don't think that's the case. It adds a whole other layer of misery on top of the underlying depression. I base that on my own experience of having chronic suicidality. It may be a person's baseline, but that doesn't make it innocuous. It's dangerous.

Besides being dangerous, Chr. Sui causes a lot of emotional pain. I would say it can become a form of obsessive thinking.

What I find frustrating and invalidating is how mental health professionals will keep saying that the important thing is to keep you "safe." Who really cares about "safe," when you are in awful psychological pain? Getting relief from pain is what matters most . . . not staying "safe."

Professionals think that preventing suicide is what really counts. Some of that comes from their fear of criminal liability. The suffering individual wants pain relief or, at least, some pain control. So you ask for help, but you and the professionals can't be on the same page because you have different goals. It can seem like they don't care about the suffering. They just want to stop you from dying - forcibly, if necessary. That can leave you feeling awfully alone.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Tart Cherry Jam