View Single Post
SarahSweden
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2014
219 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 05, 2024 at 09:31 AM

Iīm in a rehab group where we meet for water aerobics twice a week. I find the exercise rewarding and important for my health but sometimes I think of quitting because of all the energy draining people who are in those groups.

Some people hardly say anything at all when we meet in the locker room before and after the exercise and I just avoid those people as I understand not everyone likes to talk to "strangers".

I often try to mention something that everyone can enjoy talking about, a subject which is easy to talk about like about some store, something on TV and so on. But whatīs draining is that the majority of those attending this water aerobics only talk about themselves and seem to only have the capability to see things from their own perspective.

They mostly talk about their illnessess and always shift the conversation back to them, to give examples from their own experiences but they donīt comment on what I mention to them.

I ask them questions but they rarely ask me anything so even if I like talking to people Iīve now decided to not bring up any subjects to those people as they seem to think that others like hearing about them talking about themselves.

For me this isnīt something just to ignore and as Iīm affected by it I canīt just focus on the exercise. I find it very draining with people who canīt engage in other peopleīs perspective and follow up on something without just turning the conversation back to themselves.

I sometimes think I could perhaps avoid the locker room as much as possible at least before the group starts by getting there as late as possible. Afterwards itīs more difficult as I need to shower, change clothes and so on and as itīs a very small locker room I canīt find a space free from those people.
SarahSweden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated