Member Since Apr 2014
1,275 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 10, 2024 at 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDMercer View Post
I hear what you're saying re:clothes.

"Gross" refers to dirty dishes with food still in them and wrappers on the floor.

As for how it effects the kid, and them going through fatigue and depression...

Yes, that's valid.

We don't raise kids, we raise adults.

Everyone in our home is coping and is dealing or has dealt with depression.

If you assume that is true, and assume one person's feelings and difficulties are no bigger and of no greater importance than anyone else's... Then get up and contribute. Clean your room. Get ready for school. Move.

Depression, anxiety, fatigue, PTSD, are all real. In a setting where everyone has something going on, then letting someone assume your responsibilities is a self centered act. I have zero, ZERO tolerance for that.

My wife endlessly couldn't contribute, because of her depression, anxiety, myriad illnesss, etc., and hers were ALWAYS bigger than everyone else's. I have a responsibility to show my kids the opposite.

The other thing is, thoughts follow action which follows thought which follows action which follows thoughts...... If you can't break the cycle and the pattern on your own, then someone or something external to you has to.

I'm the external thing for them.

Laying in bed in filth is not going to make you less depressed. Failing to shower is not going to make you less depressed. Get up and contribute.

Depression, anxiety, ptsd are real, but you actually need to move and do something positive to fight back.

There's not a doubt in my mind that this is the right thing to do. Not one. My kids will be more disciplined and more resilient and more supportive of the people around them for being raised like this.

The other thing is, I have never and will never use emotional manipulation with them.

"I'm so disappointed on you. I'm so hurt by your decisions. Don't you think you could do better?" Screw that. That's manipulation.

As compared to.

"You messed up, I'm angry about it, and here's why."

"Your room is dirty and it smells. The food waste brings bugs. I told you this before and said there'll be a consequence the next time. I'm not driving you to the hockey game unless this is done in 30 minutes. Move."

"Your wet towel is on the floor, again. It smells and ruins the finish on the floor. I explained that. Fix it now, or there's a consequence. Move."

My kids are loved and supported a lot. It's also true that most of the world doesn't care what your issue is, you still have to contribute. So.... Contribute.

RDMercer
I appreciate that you understand the validity of what I said, but you then go on to essentially invalidate it.

People, including your kids, don't cope the way you do just because you demand it. And saying "we all have PTSD so contribute" is very much dismissing how an individual may be coping differently than you do and unable to cope the way you do. I again caution you in this mindset because assuming your kids can and will cope the way you insist they do would be furthering the abuse of their mother. I know that's not your intent and I am not saying that's what is happening here. But the attitude you just described was the attitude of my bio dad that I no longer have contact with. And no, the attitude didn't make me more resilient.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ArmorPlate108, FloatThruThis, unaluna

Thanks for this!
ArmorPlate108