View Single Post
Revu2
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2013
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 15, 2024 at 01:46 AM

Thanks SPG. Had me laughing. I did notice all that html when I experimented with getting my list the same size. I rewrote and let it be because I had a hard time seeing the text to edit it after that. Next time I'll hold off until the very last before setting it up to match.

I have a lot of experience negotiating. I've run workshops for community folks to lawyers to the negotiators for the Federal Mediation Service.

Like a musician, it's best to rehearse before a concert. In this case, it's getting a vendor to cede something they had no business looking into in the first place. Since I have a BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement), am sure of my ground and have the backing of the other board member I can negotiate from strength.

Also, I need to figure out how to face-off if it comes to that. First, I know not to go alone. If another Board member is going—in our state that makes it a "board meeting"—the other owners have to be told. Don't want that as we don't want a contentious question we have settled internally re-opened.

My partner is busy and may or may not have the time. But, I do have a friend who is claiming personal days a couple of times a week. So I asked him. He is on "stand by" mode and available if needed.

The main issues at stake is whether our policy, A, stands or their idea of what our policy ought to be, B, takes its place. They wanted to meet via zoom and discuss this. I countered with, if your draft supports Pol A, then zoom is fine; if Pol B, we need to meet in person because it's such a radical reversal and quite important.

They said we politely decline to meet in person. I said it would only be a "fair agreement" to meet in person as we have opened our doors to your people, shared any document you asked for, and approved you reaching out to our very busy vendors with your questions. I also said before we can agree which to do, I need to see your draft.

The draft dropped this week in support of their Pol B. One thing I asked (negotiation position) for was a court ruling or state law where they have the authority to challenged our established policy. None have been provided, though he says he polled some folks working with condos about it. How nice.

But he hinted that if we insist it can be re-written to support our Pol A. An opening.

So, thus far I've "negotiated" getting a draft ahead of any meeting and an oblique offer that they will change it if we want to our preferred Pol A. Not sure how ready they really are about making that change. But still, an opening is an opening.

Along the lines of the Voss book, I have Jerry Spence's "How to Win Every Argument."

The very simplest protocol is offered by a training for youth called Natural Helpers. So, I'm aware of the range.

I think we are negotiating in life far more often than we see—it's just that 99.999% don't reach the level of a hostage situation. Example:

Person M: Hungry? Let's go out.
Person P: Sure (first agreement)
M: I'm thinking Mexican.
P: Naw, we had a lot of nachos 2 weeks ago. Pizza?
M: Just had a pizza party at work.
P: Ooo, I know. That new place making burgers with fried ramen for buns.
M: Oh yeah, I read about them, let's go. … Probably be a line ...

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote