Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,272 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 19, 2024 at 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
Part of the reason you can’t let go is because you have relived your past in your own relationship. Your wife, like your mother is an alcoholic.

Your parents are still together. How old are they?
And despite that your mom has stopped drinking, your dad is still a codependent enabler. He is what you would be if you had stayed with your ex wife.

I know you want strong family connections, but sometimes we just have to accept that our family unhealthy and the only kind of connection we can have is a superficial one. We can care for them but not get too involved.

I've been no contact with my biological father since 2015, I think. Well, there were a few limited moments of contact at my uncle's funeral a few years later. I can't have contact with him because he is unsafe and dangerous. But if his care came down on me, I would make sure he was taken care of in a safe nursing home. I wouldn't visit. But I'd make sure he's at least taken care of. Sometimes that's the most of a connection is safe.

I don't know what it's like with your parents. But it sounds like you'd have a better, more enjoyable relationship with LESS contact and without getting into anything deep in your life.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
eskielover, Open Eyes