underdog is here

Member Since Sep 2011
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 28, 2024 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenNoodleSoup View Post
Re the blurring: for those of you who think it's normal, think about the facts that a) it doesn't cut out perfectly around you and you can see a little background clearly floating around the person, that just looks weird, and b) it can bug and show the background. I have had video calls for 10 years before the pandemic and it was so normal to see a cleaned up background, I personally even have invested thoughts into what I display in the background of my camera. The blurring only came on as people who had to work from home had to have a background and didn't want to show it. This was an absolute non-issue before, and now it's like "oh, what might he have that" and then hit the screenshot button as soon as it bugs. If you don't invest into a greenscreen, just put your normal room in the background, have a small shelf with a few cute things on it that aren't too personal and you're all set.
Edit: if you are in a different from usual location, I understand blurring a bit, though it's a joke for privacy. But I see regular business people at their office blurring their background. There's a shelf with a few folders there, come on, nothing to hide! Eyes have developed to deal with things in the background of a person talking to you...
But how is a plain dull shelf different from it blurred? I really don't understand how it is being a concern for people dealing with a therapist - why would a blurred background upset anyone? I am in a field where no one would be in my office - I meet clients in a conference room and usually students as well when I can - not in my personal office. Files are confidential - I don't want people seeing them on my desk and I don't want to have to clear my desk if I am zooming a lot. Luckily I almost never have to zoom anyone anymore - but I think the different background/blur is very useful for when I do. For us, there was a picture of the courtroom we could use as a background so most of us did that.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde
Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket