View Single Post
16PennyNail

Member Since Mar 2024
55 hugs
given
Default Apr 21, 2024 at 05:53 AM

I stopped practicing medicine because I got an offer at a local National Lab to be a research supervisor. We were working on mostly high end vaccine stuff, I was there for a bit and because of my military history, and I got along so well with everyone, the management company put my name in the pot to take over the senior position that D.O.D, functions in there. Surprisingly I was offered section chief position, as a D.O.D. contractor. So, going back to my days as a First Lieutenant in the Army Rangers, managing my office employees when I practiced, running a lab for a few years, then finally made the Chief of the section of the largest employer in the region I live in, by far. I have some management experience, this is how you handle that.

When a fellow employee is rude, or acting or saying something inappropriately,

1.) The first step is to approach them yourself and see if they are responsive to discussion about it. Sometimes people are and will apologize and everything is okay. If they are hostile or nonresponsive see step 2.

2.)If they are rude and do not respond to your communication asking them to stop or you trying to reason with. them. That is what supervision is for, NO ONE should have to work in a hostile environment and rudeness is a form of hostility. This kind of function is what supervisors are paid for, part of the job description. I have commonly heard people say they don't want to start trouble, or be labeled as someone that runs upstairs everytime there is a problem. Let your immediate supervisor or their supervisor shoulder that. When I was working I would shoulder that as much as Superman possibly could and gladly ask for more, Rudeness is counterproductive to a happy and healthy working environment, A good supervisor is trained and knows how to handle this, we don't mind, it is part of what we are paid to do.

16PennyNail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote