View Single Post
splitimage
Community Support Team

Member Since Mar 2006
75 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 25, 2024 at 09:20 AM

I'm 55 and I do think that some things are harder for young people now, then it was back in my 20''s.

For example, I did a humanities degree in university, English and Philosophy. It did take a lot of letters and applications because I graduated in the midst of a recession, but I did have a full time permanent job lined up immediately upon graduation, with a pretty decent salary for the time. Renting was affordable on my salary and while I never purchased a home, I could have, it was more a choice for me that I didn't want the hassle of owning.

I contrast this experience with some people I know, who are in their 30's and they've never had a permanent job, all they've been able to find are contracts. And they're not making much more than I did back in 92 in my first job, while rent is massively more expensive.

I also work with some young people, and they are smart and motivated and really committed to the job.

I just think that some things are harder for young people than it was back then.

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favourite hymn.

"If you see the wonder in a fairy tale, you can take the future even if you fail." Abba

splitimage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, TheGal, unaluna