rechu
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
1,045 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 25, 2024 at 05:11 PM

Interesting discussion.

My husband supervises people just out of law school that are doing the required internship they need to become lawyers. Here, you can start studying law right after high school, instead of a bachelor's degree and then law school. If you finish on time, you complete your coursework in five years. So, he's dealing with a lot of people in their mid/early 20s. He's been doing this for a long time.

He says these last few groups of interns really seem less prepared to deal with their internship and life generally. As he puts it, some seem to be made of glass.They become very sensitive if he tells them they did something wrong, for example. They don't make reminders for upcoming court hearings, even though it's easier than ever to add one to your phone, and then forget to attend. One guy logged in to an online court hearing from his car ! Another reused a legal document and didn't change the people's names or ID numbers. One woman quit a few weeks in because she couldn't take the stress.

He works hybrid so sometimes I hear these conversations. He's very measured with them, he doesn't berate or scold them. He just corrects them and reminds them of what they need to do, why it's important to be organized, etc.

Maybe having to study online during the pandemic played a role? I'm not sure. As in other places, the helicopter parenting style seems more prevalent in the last 10-15 years, that could play a role too. Whatever it is, I've never seen him so frustrated with this aspect of his job.
rechu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
unaluna

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, Nammu, unaluna