Monster on the Hill

Member Since Sep 2020
5,044 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 28, 2024 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaluna View Post
I was a waitress at a denny's type all-night restaurant, when i didnt even know that soup and salad courses were served before the entree. I was a perfume girl (but for men's cologne), i served jelly samples (bonne maman) in a grocery store, i was paid to influence voters at the polls (for like a city councilman or something), then i started working as a computer programmer, for thirty years of hell, discrimination, and intimidation. Then i was a manicurist who cleaned the entire shop on the weekend, including the bathrooms.

And i lived at my mom's and washed her clothes and her dishes and her smoke and bacon-grease encrusted kitchen while she and her sister belittled me, until they were silenced by what i can do with a little ammonia and a sponge. Oh, it just occurred to me - there was another option!
How did you get those jobs though without any steady prior employment or education or ANYONE who could be a reference? Would it be a problem if I don’t have an address and can’t afford a PO Box so no fixed address and nowhere to send mail? How did you get to or from those jobs if they weren’t in walking distance or had overnight hours when it wouldn’t be safe to walk (not that walking in the day in some spots is safe lol, some dude on a main road pretty much just came up to me and asked me if I do drugs and would like to join. And 10 minutes later another dude was holding up traffic tweaking in an intersection lmao).

I’ll try and get a hold of voc rehab tomorrow, but I’ve heard from others it’s not super helpful resume writing is like “what do you have for prior work experience?” “Nothing that looks good on paper.” “Okay, what can you put down that does look good on paper?” Is basically what I’ve heard they do. And Ticket to work feels sketchy because of the way the employer network works and, trust me, I’ve tried working, earned $200 in a month but had to quit because I became incredibly unstable, and they docked me $300/mo from benefits that they didn’t bump up again until two years and many phone calls and paperwork later. But maybe I just don’t know how to work the system and don’t know how to find people that know how to work the system that are working in my best interest.

Hugs from:
unaluna