LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.2k hugs
given
Default Apr 28, 2024 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisketatasket View Post
So I’m feeling stupidly troubled about something. I still see Visa about once a month, last time was 10 days ago,. She warned me she might be on my campus a couple times in the next few weeks (her kids go here), and if we passed each other, I could deal with it as I wished—ignore her, wave, etc.

This past Friday an encampment began on my campus. There were of course chants of multiple anti-Semitic slogans. I accidentally walked into it, not knowing it was there, and once I managed to extract myself, I texted my Jewish colleagues and friends on campus to warn them in case they didn’t want to deal with that.

Visa’s Jewish. And I remembered she might be on campus. So, I texted her too. She was indeed on campus that day, and she sent two thank-you texts back.

I feel strange about the whole thing. Clearly it was fine to warn her, but I also feel like it shifted our relationship, and I don’t like that.

This sounds complicated, and I'm sorry you're dealing with it. I agree that it was fine to warn her. I can see where you feel it shifted your relationship. But at the same time, would you have warned anyone you knew that was Jewish, like a colleague, acquaintance, etc.? If so, maybe you could try to think of it that way, that you'd have warned anyone you had some sort of relationship with who could have potentially been a target of the demonstration? So, not about her being your therapist, just someone you knew walking into that?
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket, unaluna