View Single Post
Cantholdmyrage

Member Since Apr 2024
22 hugs
given
Default Apr 30, 2024 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross2008 View Post
I can sympathize. I spent most of my young years living in a city that is either Southern or Midwestern, depending on who you ask. There was a famous pizza chain there that would refuse to deliver to certain neighborhoods. A block away in a different neighborhood, they'd deliver, but nope, not to that street. Please understand that although the neighborhood had a bad reputation, I as a young mother could walk down the street at any time of the day or night, and I was never bothered. But they wouldn't deliver pizza there, simply because of its reputation. Why did they have this reputation? Merely because there were a lot of black people in the area. That pizza chain wouldn't deliver to anywhere with a high black concentration. They could be the nicest people in the world, and a lot of them were, but they're black, and that means the neighborhood is dangerous. My mother, when she visited, used to barricade the front door and check constantly out my living room window to make sure her car hadn't been stolen. Cheese O'Malley, it wasn't THAT bad! But middle class white people thought it was.

At first we got pizza by walking that couple of blocks to that different neighborhood, and having it delivered there. Eventually we stopped doing that, because it's just wrong. We stopped buying pizza from that place at all. We boycotted it. When my mother wanted to know why we weren't buying from that pizza place anymore, we explained. Of course she tried to justify their discriminatory delivery practices. I answered, "The only thing I know is this. If my neighbors are white, I can get pizza delivered. If my neighbors are black, I can't."

She answered, "Well, don't have black neighbors, then."

Un-bad-word-believable.
That is absolutely terrible! I hope that place gets shut down for good! I also hope you cut off contact with your mother.
Cantholdmyrage is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Albatross2008

Thanks for this!
Albatross2008