View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 03, 2024 at 07:58 PM

This fish thing with Dr. T has become a mess. Felt a bit better Tuesday, then I brought up something today (after talking about some other life stuff), and it went sideways.

I do think I stood up for myself. He said something like, "It seems you feel that the possibility that I won't bring the fish means that I don't care and the you aren't important to me."
Me: "Yes, that's what it feels like."
Dr. T: [silence]
Me: "So, other people in this situation might give some reassurance, like, 'Of course it isn't that.' But I know that's not a thing you do, so."

He then proceeded to give a bit of reassurance, but it was like he was being forced to do so under great duress. (Yes, I know, it could be argued that he was.) So it didn't seem sincere at all. Like [deep sigh], in a sort of robotic voice: "Yes, your success is important to me. I care about your happiness." I said it felt like he was just saying it, and he said, "You know I wouldn't lie, LT."

Yes, I know, I'm pushing too much about this. And it may not make sense to everyone (or even anyone!) why it's painful. I know the obvious solution is to take the fish back, but I'm not in the space for that right now. I ask kindly that you not tell me to do that. Apparently, offering an object like 10% of its size that is neutral-colored (more his aesthetic) and can fit in dish with other existing items (he has a bunch of them) is also controlling, even though I said I was just trying to give other options. The move is not until June (probably late in the month), so hopefully we can get to a place of peace/acceptance before then. I don't intend to talk about it every session. I have other things to talk about. But there's also part of me that feels doubtful about the relationship in general right now.
LonesomeTonight is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ArtieTheSequal, InkyBooky, NP_Complete, Oliviab, ScarletPimpernel