atisketatasket
Child of a lesser god

Member Since Jun 2015
12.4k hugs
given
Default May 04, 2024 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOnTheTrail View Post
The therapeutic relationship is hardly the space where one should make oneself smaller to acquiesce to the therapist's process.
This is true. But there’s really only one sure solution: find a therapist you don’t feel you have to be small with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeTonight View Post
He wants to decorate his office as he sees fit, and that may not include something that represents me. I don't know that I can bring this up to him, as his response may just make it very clear how little I truly mean to him. It may simply be that he doesn't assign the same value to objects that I (and apparently you, and your mother) do. He may just not be sentimental in that way, so doesn't get the meaning. Or maybe other objects in there have lots of meaning for him (due to their origin), but mine doesn't.
Actually, beyond natural inclination, it may depend on the person you’re connected to, I think. For instance, I have very few objects that belonged to my father. With him, pictures and memories suffice. It’s not that I loved him less, it’s just somehow I don’t need the object. And maybe Dr T is similar with you, i.e., he doesn’t need the object.

Thanks for this!
Lemoncake, LonesomeTonight, stopdog, unaluna