LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.2k hugs
given
Default May 04, 2024 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrademoomoo View Post
The fish itself isn't important, but what it represents is important. Similarly, the decision itself of whether he keeps it or whether you take it back isn't important, but your process around this is important. So I think you are right, objects might not hold the same significance for him as for you (and of course that is fine), but what should be significant to him is your process. He should be able to pay attention to what is happening for you and help you explore what is happening - which might not even involve reassurance. However, hopefully it would involve him remaining congruent whilst also caring about your responses, meanings, experiences, feelings, associations, fears, and all of the goings on in your process. This seems like relational work and maybe that's why he isn't serving you or the work very effectively.

And just to say about the idea of you needing to make yourself small to be acceptable, whilst I can certainly read that in some of what you say (not wanting to repeatedly discuss it, giving a small object etc), I also see how big you are being. You are taking how you feel seriously and you know that this matters. You want to talk about it here, you are driven to speak to him about it, you are having big feelings about it. I think this is part of your agency and good for you for taking up space even at his inconvenience and your discomfort.
Realized I didn't respond to this insight. He seems to go back and forth between exploring it, like, "what we need to figure out is why this is so important to you" and asserting that it's his space to decorate. Like, examining, then asserting control. I wish we could just stay in the examining space for longer.

And thanks for the comment on how big I am being. I do think it's important and a sign of growth that I'm asserting myself with him (and here), even if it might be bothering him a bit.

This all came about because I was trying to be proactive about the office move and figure out ways to make it easier, both saying good-bye to the old office and welcoming the new one. I didn't intend to get into the whole thing with the fish--I just suggested, "Hey, maybe one way I could feel more comfortable in the new place would be if you would let me be the one to put the fish in its spot or be there when you do it (like he could have had it on his desk when I got there). Which is when he said, "I don't know that I'll have room for everything." I'd just assumed he'd be taking it. So some of my reaction is from being surprised by this, though I suppose better now than the first day in the new office, after I glance around and don't see it.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote