Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.2k hugs
given
Default May 04, 2024 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOnTheTrail View Post
Yuck...

That's a horrible question in that context.

A gift from a client to a therapist isn't given with the expectation that it will definitely be put on display...but to insinuate that you're 'pushing it' in some way is really weird.

I wouldn't give something to a friend and immediately ask where they were going to put it...I'd want to enjoy the moment of noticing it around their place.

'There's that thing!' and the joy that comes with seeing it in its rightful place.

I honestly can't fathom how a three inch fish has become a bone of contention, and yet I really don't think it's about you, LT.

I'll keep the rest of my mumblings to myself, but I hope he sees sense here.
Thanks, Lost. Just realized I didn't reply to this. Yeah, there seems the implication that it might not be appropriate.

I also question how it's become this big conflict. I was also thinking of how I gave it to honor our 5 years of work together. It wasn't intended to just be about *me*, but the work. Also, the actual live Fish (capitalized because that was her name) that once lived in his office.

And in general, I don't tend to be controlling about gifts. It feels nice when my H wears a shirt I gave him, especially a T-shirt that I thought he'd find to be funny. I make sure to wear things he gave me for the same reason. But I wouldn't interrogate him about why he wasn't wearing someting I gave him. (I might say, if it was soon after, "If you didn't like it or it didn't fit well, I can return it-it's all good.") I gave my mom a notepad that I figured she could use in their beach condo, and it felt nice to see that she was using it. But if it hadn't been there, I wouldn't have been like, "hey, where's that notepad I gave you?"

This just stirs up something different in me for whatever reason.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote