View Single Post
ArtieTheSequal
Writing my way through...

Member Since Feb 2020
5,837 hugs
given
Default May 04, 2024 at 07:38 PM

My inherited-from-my-grandpa 1926 Underwood #5 is back home and in perfect working order again! I've already written/typed a short poem on it as soon as we got back home earlier. Una, yes, I will need to strengthen my fingers haha - do they make finger-weights? ha! it felt a little strange at first typing on it, but then i relaxed into it and the sound of the keys, the bell ding near the end of a line (that actually drew a giggle from me, I'd forgotten the way it sounded but it is perfect!), and the sound of the carriage return are all very satisfying. It's not totally restored (for instance, it was originally shiny black, but the repair guy estimates it was refurbished/painted gray in the 1930's) - a full restoration would have cost a LOT more - I just wanted it working again. They're not actually worth enough to pay for a full restoration. It's funny that there's no number 1, you have to use the l key for 1, and there's no exclamation point, I remembered though that you type an apostrophe, then backspace and type a period to make one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orville-restored.jpg (307.4 KB, 20 views)
ArtieTheSequal is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Lemoncake

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, WarmFuzzySocks