Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 05, 2024 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
Are you in line to get the cicada invasion? They have been warning us for weeks that they are coming. Other than if I was a farmer, I have no idea why I am supposed to care about the cicadas coming. They are kind of noisy and the cat will bring in a couple like he is a mighty hunter, but other than that -they are not bothering me.

No cicadas for me, but we had one of the big broods in 2021. With the timing, I was thinking, "Great, I feel kinda safe doing things outside again, and now we have to deal with these!" Dining outside was a bit of an adventure when they were around. They're really dumb and will just fly right into you. Plus the noise. I remember one landed on Dr. T's back while we were meeting outside one time. He freaked out a little.

I'm in an area with lots of old-growth trees, so I think that led to there being more of them than in some other areas. It was the same (but in a different part of the state) when they arrived the 17 years before that. My apartment balcony was covered in their skeletons.