View Single Post
Blue_Bird
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jun 2013
14.4k hugs
given
Default May 14, 2024 at 04:42 PM

I live in supportive housing. I’m 29 (almost 30) and have bipolar disorder. I’m essentially independent other than having appointments with one of the program managers once a month to go over my goals. I’ve lived here since January 2020. They do a lot for the tenants. Like they have potlucks, bingo, different art events, yoga , movies etc in the community room in the lobby. I live by myself. It’s good because I have the support and incentive to keep my apartment clean cause of inspections , because when I was living in independent housing obviously they didn’t have those regularly so I kind of would fall into depressive episodes and not clean and my place was a mess. But since I’ve moved here I have done pretty well. I’m independent. It also gives me a reason to get out of my apartment because when I lived 100% independent housing I’d isolate for days , weeks, months on end. But here there’s events and there’s other people and the community room and there’s also treadmills in every one of the laundry rooms. There’s one on each floor. So I use the treadmill everyday. They’re really nice ones with inclines. People who live here are at various stages of independence. Most are independent. Some have more outside support like a person who comes and spends time with them during the day. There’s old people, young people, ages of all range.

There used to be a lot of issues in the building mainly due to the neighborhood we’re in not being great. Lots of traffic in and out of the building with illegal drug use /overdosed. But they’ve cleaned up the building a lot and it’s a lot better than it was. Also there’s a small computer lab. And there’s vending machines. An ATM in the building. There’s 24/7 security in the lobby so there’s always a security guard here even when the staff isn’t here on weekends or holidays. People are friendly. I have two cats. We’re allowed to have up to two pets if they’re approved as emotional support animals from our psychiatrist.

Let me think if I’m forgetting anything, there’s occasionally tenant meetings in the community room where the program director will re-emphasize program rules and expectations.

Trying to think what else, they have holiday dinners for almost every holiday. Really good food too that the staff cooks.

They’re in touch with my psychiatrist and therapist and medical doctors and make sure I’m getting my appointments like for physicals, and dental and eye exams.

Sometimes they’ll have a van that takes people who sign up on a trip to Walmart or aldis for them to buy their food.

I got nominated as tenant of the year last year. It was for the region of this state, I didn’t win but lots of nominees are sent throughout the region. Regardless it was nice of them to recognize me. And I got a nice letter from my program manager

There’s also a nice outside area with benches, with a specified smoking and non smoking section.

R.I.P mom 8/6/55-1/15/16

“All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.” -St. Francis of Assisi
Blue_Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi, Crazy Hitch, unaluna, Victoria'smom

Thanks for this!
bizi, Crazy Hitch, unaluna, Victoria'smom