View Single Post
nonightowl
Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
7,164 hugs
given
Confused May 15, 2024 at 01:39 PM

I've been told by various therapists over the years that women are more verbal, more likely to seek support, and that there are actual physical differences between the female and male brain.

Men have been conditioned, at least in the US, to be tough and "a man". There may still be a stigma to seek help of any kind, whether it's mental or physical.

There are way more women at my local senior center than men, and it could be because women outnumber men to begin with. And we live longer. In my Zumba-like exercise class, there's just one man who comes regularly. There were a couple of others but they dropped out. Many possible reasons, but I noticed in general that center just has way more women, including the staff. The facilitators that lead the grief and support groups are always women. Years ago when I went, there was just one man in it.

Men have heart attacks and high blood pressure more usually, but then they don't "let it all out" like it's acceptable for women to do. We cry, scream, unload on someone and feel better. Yet men won't do that and I've seen articles saying how most men don't even have a close friend. And that's sad. They haven't been taught emotional skills or that it's okay to have emotions, they are human too.

This is a very thought provoking topic.

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote