Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2020
71 hugs
given
Default May 17, 2024 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeeSchmeee68 View Post
I do appreciate the help
I see that they are looking at my gross income, so that's partly where the money goes.

Phone - $100
Electric -$50
Car insurance -$179
Rent - $504
Internet - $60
Gas (car)- $85
Food -$400
Renters insurance -$13
‐-----------------------------$1391

My net pay is $1400/mo
So on paper, it looks like I'm left with $9 after all expenses.
But it never works out that way.

I don't go out to eat. Or to the movies. I pay with my debit card.
-snip-
I read this last night and have been thinking about it on and off today.

First, I wonder if your bank is charging fees. I once misplaced my checkbook when it was time to pay the student loan, so I used the bank's electronic Bill Pay feature. The next time I looked at my list of transactions, I noticed that the bank charged a 13% fee for that payment!

All your monthly expenses are much lower than mine except for gas and car insurance. Is carpooling an option at all? Can you start driving right after starting the engine (as opposed to using a remote start to get the cabin to a moderate temperature)? Can you try "hypermiling" where you change your driving habits to increase gas mileage?

Car insurance may be out of your control. Rates vary depending on the type of car and where it's "garaged." But I wanted to mention that you pay more than I pay for two cars (although I bundle it with home insurance, and I live in a very low-crime area.)

Anyway, housing makes me mad. The root of this situation is greed. There are investors who pay into REIT (Real Estate Investment Trusts) to profit from housing. It's true that money to build new housing needs to come from somewhere. But in some cases, housing construction (or renovation) is funded by government programs, yet it's the investors who benefit from it.

Thanks for this!
DeeeSchmeee68, unaluna