MuddyBoots
Monster on the Hill

Member Since Sep 2020
5,275 hugs
given
Default Jun 06, 2024 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
I don’t think mountain meant that people be in actual literal “shock” as they expected celebrities to live forever or thought that celebrities aren’t people.

Sometimes death of a celebrity that one admires means there’ll be no other book written by them or no other play acted or no other painting painted or no other good deed accomplished by them. It could mean many things to many people.
Sorry but I'm back. I just really want to understand this. Is the general public as equally upset (I don't want to use the word "shocked") when somebody retires, switches professions, or plain ole' stops doing their thing?

Tom Brady comes to mind. I live in die-hard Pats nation where everybody has strong opinions of the dude, and I think people flipped more when he turned to the Buccaneers than when he retired (at least the first time). When I picture his death, I can't imagine people being genuinely upset. Maybe they'll hear about it on the news by a reporter that acts like it's some huge thing like reporters do, and then say some shyt like "day-um, the GOAT is gone. He's the only guy in a Dunks commercial to make me question my sexuality. Sad." and then get on with an unaffected life. I think it'll be a less intense situation than the Buccaneers crap.

For the sake of this question, is there a point celebrities stop being considered celebrities and those folks are kinda excluded from this? Like, today someone's a celebrity but fades into the background and isn't heard about for a couple or so decades so people don't make as much of a dead as if they died while they were at peak publicity?

I like repeating them just to see if it really is likely cause and effect.