View Single Post
Cantholdmyrage

Member Since Apr 2024
30 hugs
given
Default Jun 12, 2024 at 07:24 PM

This is one of my biggest pet peeves: when you try to discuss a problem you have and are given unsolicited advice even though you never asked for a solution.

It makes me so angry when I hear people say “people just don’t want to have their problems solved anymore” because they are missing the point. Not everything needs a solution. We just want to vent and get things off our chest.

For example, I was asked to try more vegetables, and I said no, because I have ARFID. She told me to I could do X for me to enjoy it. I told her it doesn’t work because I can still taste that stuff and they make me sick. She kept on giving me solutions that I never asked for even though I kept telling her nothing works.

I then told her that she was being insensitive to people who struggle with eating disorders and she cannot expect them to do things her way. She said “true but, you can still find solutions for your problems”.

That did it! I got so angry, I shouted at her “How many times have I told you, I don’t want any solutions?! I never asked for you to give me any solutions, ever! Let us be. There are things that are impossible to solve. Want to solve this conflict? Simple, leave us be and stop bothering us with your unwanted advice!”

It’s one thing if someone asks for advice, and that is acceptable. But the problem is, many instances we don’t ask for it and we are given it anyway. It sounds so intrusive and unsympathetic.

There’s a reason why I say I need to get things off my chest, so I won’t have to deal with annoying comments like “do X” or do Y”. It feels like the passive-aggressive equivalent to “stfu, get off your *** and do something about your problem so I won’t have to hear you complain”.

It honestly makes me sick. Anyways, rant over.
Cantholdmyrage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Yaowen

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, mote.of.soul