View Single Post
16PennyNail

Member Since Mar 2024
99 hugs
given
Default Jun 20, 2024 at 03:01 AM

Dear fellow members, the work in the lab was not bad. I had the opportunity to work with a plethora of physicists, and it's become a hobby of mine. There's a popular saying, 'We are living in the moment.' But in reality, we are not. No one truly does. Let me break it down: think of a grandfather clock as it ticks off the

seconds. A sound we all know is the clock's Ticktock as it runs. However, for the specific purposes that are significant to particle physicists, there is the most minuscule pause between the tick and the tock. It is within this tiny space that an actual moment, a crucial concept in particle physics, exists. The progression is as follows.

(Tick) [Moment] (Tock = 1 second.
I will show a progression of the first three seconds of a lab procedure.

1st second (Tick) {Moment} (Tock) | 2n second (Tick) [Moment} (Second) | Third Second (Tick) [Moment] (Tock.

So, there were three moments in just three seconds. For many applications, one must look at them individually. As linear time progresses, we are just moving past these moments. By the time you think of the word moment, a coupe has gone by, and we individualistically have little notion of them. Most would never notice this, but when they generate a collision at C.E.R.N. or Fermilab, it becomes

very important. The phrase living in the or by the moment doesn't really mean anything to the passage of time. It would be more accurate to say living day by day, or minute by minute. It may not seem like much, but it means a great deal in many scientific applications to understand this. Gosh I hate no longer being able to teach.

Hugs from:
eskielover

Thanks for this!
unaluna