View Single Post
cool09
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Feb 2012
22 hugs
given
Default Jun 20, 2024 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
What reading have you done on dissociation?
I've just done research online and found out I had all 4 stages of dissociation including derealization and dissociative amnesia. I felt unreal as a teen and everything around me seemed unreal (it's very hard to explain) and when I looked in the mirror I felt unreal but all that stopped as I grew up.

I don't know how dissociation is treated. I've read that meds are used sometimes but I've taken every psych med but still have moments when I feel like I just don't identify with myself well and makes it difficult to relate to others and just haven't felt like myself since 13.
I've never read if therapy is used for treatment. Maybe I've read that CBT can help, I'm not sure. I don't know what type of help I need I just know I want to talk to someone who knows something about it and can offer some kind of guidance. And I haven't found anyone who wants to talk about it or knows anything about it.
When I was inpatient 7 times in early 90s at best psych hospital in USA in Philly (w/best Drs in the country) neither the Dr or Psychologist I saw every day made any effort to find out what the root cause of my acute anxiety was. Dr just handed me anxiety pills and Psychologist never said a word to me. (Now I understand that the cause of my anxiety was my dissociation because I was so detached from myself and couldn't feel myself or feel anything around friends and family anymore and caused me great distress and frustration.) I had no idea what happened to me in my teens until maybe 2018 when I did some research online and then I discussed it with a Johns Hopkins Resident in 2018 and she didn't say a word.
Before 13 I was happy, had plenty of friends, joked around a lot, had great parents, etc. Then I started getting anxious around girls and started feeling extremely strange and didn't feel anything around friends and family anymore. People have told me an event triggers dissociation but I didn't have any trauma around 13. All of the women on my mother's side of the family were sick and had the same thing I have (agitated depression) and I just think I have bad genes.
Quote:
'non pathologizing' approaches
I don't know what non-pathologizing means so I didn't comment.

Hugs from:
unaluna