View Single Post
MuddyBoots
Monster on the Hill

Member Since Sep 2020
5,324 hugs
given
Default Jun 23, 2024 at 11:12 AM

Does that mean time only exists in particle accelerators? Does that mean things jump around (from 1s to 2s to 3s with instead of moving continuously?)? You're kinda confusing me saying time is on a continuum, meaning there is no perceptible difference as it flows (like what I described trying to explain the dot moving along a line at intervals of limx->0), but you're also saying you can't apply logic, and logically there is no sequence. I don't get how the idea of "no sequence to time" is logical, as time doesn't move backwards (, and it kinda does go in the order of 0s to 1s to 2s and so on unless somehow you travel faster than a photon.

Pretty sure the idea of time being continuous is a relativity idea (the logical thought applied to larger than molecules) while in quantum theory (atoms and smaller) there are jumps aka quantum leaps. With special relativity vs quantum mechanics, is "physics" not a legitimate, whole, cohesive subject where we pick and choose which kind of math we use depending on what we're looking at (because, trust me, I've tried applying quantum equations on cosmic levels during my stint at a math major/physics minor studies, and the math got fccked . I don't know, you're the one with the PhD so I'm assuming you're smart enough to explain this how I can understand it, which you're not doing)? Do you think we really need to use entirely different math applications based on how microscopic or macroscopic we're looking, or is there something we're missing entirely? I've read a bit about quantum field theory's work in combining the two, but I'd like to understand it's weaknesses and therefore why classic quantum mechanics is still being used on particles and relativity on compounds.

Like I said, only attempted a major in math/minor in physics so the only formal classes I've taken are calc through III, linear algebra, DE, and physics I and II (which my prof just had us take a gander at quantum mech, and just a bit of field theory). I learn quickly though, so if you want to message me telling me where I'm wrong and EXPLAINING THINGS better that'd be cool. Applicable equations so I can work things out for myself would be good too (please copy & paste any non-roman alphabet symbols so I don't freak haha. Had a professor use an "O" for theta once and we all were like wtf?).

I like repeating them just to see if it really is likely cause and effect.
MuddyBoots is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote