Thread: Secret sessions
View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.3k hugs
given
Default Jun 26, 2024 at 09:46 AM

My therapist has done something similar with me, if he's working a short week or very limited hours. I tell myself that he's pretty sure some clients won't really care about the missed time, whereas I would, so he's offering time to me for that reason. Plus, some are sports psychology clients, so I imagine they may not care as much about missing time (as it's about performance rather than mental health issues--though I'm sure some have both concerns).

I've also wondered whether he says something to clients like, "I'm only going to work limited hours next week--are you good waiting until the following week?" Or "I'm off next Monday--are you OK waiting until the following Monday?" And they say yes. Whereas if they asked about another day, he'd schedule them.

There was a recent week where, due to another obligation, he was only working a few hours each day. He said he could only see me twice to be fair to his other clients, which I completely understood.

To respond to your unease, I just tell myself what my therapist himself has said--that he wouldn't offer something if he wasn't willing to do it. It's not my responsibility to consider those other clients. It's his decision (and potentially theirs).
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AnaWhitney