View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 02, 2024 at 12:04 PM

Lost, I know it wouldn't be the same, but could you get one of those flameless candle things that turns on and off with a switch? And is it a scented candle? If so, maybe you could get some essential oil or something else in a similar scent.

That's one thing I forgot--I didn't continue this all through the virtual sessions, but I used to always put on a rollerball of a particular essential oil blend (it contained lavender, cedarwood, and...something) before in-person sessions. For a while during the pandemic, I'd put that on before the virtual sessions, so I could feel the connection through smell.

I also tended to still put on the rings and beaded bracelets (I used those as a fidget object) during my virtual sessions as I did in person (I still will generally put them on when we need to do virtual from time to time). Not sure if there's anything like that you associate with in-person, but things like that can help hold the connection.

And I *think* you do in-person therapy in your home, right? I may be wrong about that. So I'm not sure if you tended to dress any differently for that than if you were just generally hanging around at home. Or if you went to an office in person, if you dressed differently than you would at home. I tried to dress like I was going to therapy, rather than, say, having on PJs or really bummy clothes (if that's what you or anyone else wears to therapy, no judgment! I just know I wear different things if I'm sitting around the house and not seeing anyone beyond who I live with).

I've heard the same thing about doing professional Zoom meetings from home, to dress as you would to go to an in-person meeting, as it makes you feel more in that mode. Or even if it's a professional phone call without a video component, so no one would ever see you. And it may sound silly, but I also tend to brush my teeth before a Zoom session, as it makes me feel more...something!
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ScarletPimpernel