Member Since Feb 2015
76k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 05, 2024 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOnTheTrail View Post
Congratulations, LT!

I don't know how I'd feel about that definition of 'office hours'.
I've always thought of them as one-to-one meetings.

I'm curious as to whether you have the option of meeting with your tutor in that way as well?
Thanks, Lost! Unfortunately, I no longer have the option to meet with the tutor one-on-one, even if I pay. I was able to have one meeting with her the week after the course ended (for a small fee) and asked if I could continue to get any guidance from her, including paid. She said she doesn't do private consultations anymore and gave me the names of a couple other people (one seemed promising, but more for when I'm further along in my writing, like have a full memoir draft). I felt weirdly rejected.

The office hours thing seems a bit misnamed, as when I was in college/grad school, it was time when we could drop by or else schedule a meeting with a professor, one-on-one. But the "office hours" in this course are where the instructor posts a Zoom link, and anyone can join during that hour, so it's a group chat. We can ask questions, and I got to ask one or two in the one meeting. But it can be easy for someone to monopolize the time, too.

For what I paid for the course, I think I should have gotten more! I mean, I appreciated her feedback on my work, but...

I want to do some more work on my own, I think, then will see about someone who can work with me on a draft or maybe to provide a certain number of hours of guidance. There seem to be various options and models out there. I just want to keep working at it, but it can be difficult to stay motivated without, say, some sort of deadline, someone looking at my work, etc.

Hugs from:
LadyShadow, LostOnTheTrail, ScarletPimpernel

Thanks for this!
LadyShadow, LostOnTheTrail