divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,291 hugs
given
Default Jul 10, 2024 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechu View Post
I'm another one who understands. I live on another content and haven't been back in years. The last time I went I definitely didn't enjoy the experience. They also retired to a state I dislike and they're the only people I know there, so there's no getting a break.

There's always been something off about my mother (personality disorder probably?) and she definitely likes to push my buttons. These days she has dementia, which has just made her nastier. My dad is more easy going but also is an enabler.

I can't imagine spending thousands of dollars and taking 2-3 flights to deal with that.

I haven't tried the grey rocking some have mentioned here, but I know it's been helpful for some people. Maybe you can read up on that before your trip. I did a quick google search and there's a lot of information available.
My brother and I are convinced that our dad has personality disorder. 99% that he does. He mellowed out with age but it’s still there

I don’t always succeed in grey rocking. When I engage in arguments or what not, I always regret later. There’s no point. He’ll never change
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
rechu

Thanks for this!
indigo1015, rechu