View Single Post
Embracingtruth

Member Since Oct 2022
26 hugs
given
Default Jul 11, 2024 at 08:24 AM

I had a very difficult time communicating with my parents when I was a young adult. As I grew into my own, it became apparent while we had some shared values, we ultimately were different people on many issues that move people emotionally. What I (and my parents) had to learn to do over time is understand we were now all adults with different life experiences. They grew up in a different environment with different challenges than myself when they were young. So that crafted allot of attitudes and perspectives that I didn't share. So what we did is learn to respect those differences by avoiding hot topics where we could not find agreement and accentuate the positive. It took time to get everyone on the same page but it made for a much more productive and positive experience when we got together. Give your parents lots of love, but respectfully back them off from topics that make you uncomfortable, It takes time to find the language to make this operate effectively but you will find it with each of them over time. The key is to always be respectful in their space and they will figure it out in time.
Embracingtruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote