Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jun 2016
9,380 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 11, 2024 at 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberrybook View Post
Has your doctor tested if the ulcers are caused by the bacteria H. pylori? If they are, they can do a blood, breath or stool test to test for it. For the breath test, you drink or eat something that contains radioactive carbon. H. pylori breaks down the substance in your stomach. Later, you blow into a bag, which is then sealed. If you're infected with H. pylori, your breath sample will contain the radioactive carbon in the form of carbon dioxide. Hopefully they did bioposies of the ulcers during your endoscopy. The bacterial cause can be easily treated. Otherwise, the ulcers are caused either by using NSAIDs (Excedrin, aspirin, Motrin, naxproxen, ibuprofen, Aleve, Midol) or they can be idiopathic (cause unknown)..

I know too that you have ED issues. Purging and bulimia are cause ulcers too as well as vomiting frequently. When someone with bulimia nervosa (BN) purges by self-induced vomiting, the stomach acids are brought up out of the upper GI tract. This may increase the amount of acid in the stomach, making it even more acidic and thus damaging tissue. Which is why I'm wondering why your GI hasn't been more proactive about your frequent vomiting. Ulcers can perforate if left until and it requires invasive emergency surgery; I should know, I have a 5 inch vertical scar belly button up from when I had an ulcer that perforated. That experience was another notch on my PTSD belt. It was AWFUL.
I don't have bulimia. My therapist said I don't. I asked her when all this was starting. I was worried I had an eating disorder and she reassured me I was going through a health issue and that my vomiting was legit. They did take biopsies of stuff. I think they said it was gastristis for right now until they get the biopsies back.

I did do a stool test and my test came back at 201. Abnormal is 120. Which is why they want to do the coIonoscopy. They said something about irritable bowel disease.

Last edited by Mountaindewed; Jul 12, 2024 at 12:10 AM..

Hugs from:
bizi, LadyShadow, Rosi700