Grand Magnate

Member Since Oct 2017
247 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 16, 2024 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBoots View Post
That's a lot of weight (physically and metaphorically) you're getting rid of. I bet it'll feel good to get away from that.

A lot of my disordered eating behaviors/obsessions went away when I stopped looking at nutrition labels too. I had disordered eating of various forms for a little over 10 years, at times extreme and at times all but nonexistent, but if we're going based solely on the last two months I wouldn't meet DSM criteria for an ED which feels pretty good.

The other disorders are much easier to handle when you're not constantly ruining your physical health and digging your mental health further down a hole. It's funny how an eating disorder, or any addiction really, will totally take over your mind and convince you that what other people say is "recovery" is going to make you worse. Nasty liars
@MuddyBoots
It is awesome that you are stepping into to recovery after 10 years of disordered eating! I fortunately recovered (well, mostly) from my ED in my 20's and I am 46 now. I had some blips in recovery, a big one when I was sexually abused at a massage parlor Worse, the police didn't believe my claims and didn't pursue it. Then, the statute. of limitations ran out And after I have my daughter (at age 29), I breastfed for a LONG time. She did not want to wean and eat enoughl solid food to gain weight sufficiently for her age. Point is, I loved breastfeeding so much because I got down to a pretty low weight and could eat whatever I wanted. But I really liked the low weight too.

It's like you see a lower number on the scale and suddenly you feel awesome, even if it's just water weight loss such as sweating from exercise.

Not only is body dsymorphic disorder a BYTCH, so is an ED. And an ED is SO hard to let go of. It took me years to get rid of my super small clothes I had when I was at my lowest weight (should have been hospitalized but wasn't and thankfully got back to a healthy weight using CBT).

I hung on to those ED books even longer.

I will be glad when they are out of my office!

Seroquel, Cymbalta, propanolol, buspirone, Trazodone, gabapentin, lamotrigine, hydroxyzine,

There's a crack in everything. That is how the light gets in.
--Leonard Cohen
Blueberrybook is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MuddyBoots

Thanks for this!
MuddyBoots