Member Since Dec 2010
8 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 21, 2024 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowselfesteem92 View Post
Hi all.

I’m a teacher of history. In my region, history is not a compulsory subject in the last two years of schooling for secondary students. Therefore, it is truly the work of history teachers to show students how interesting and rewarding history can be in their final years of high school.

Recently, 5/10 students in my year 11 class have said they aren’t going to pursue history in year 12 because it’s their lowest scoring subject. I was shocked at hearing this, but after going home and reflecting on it, I am so devastated. There is also a feeling of betrayal as I thought they were enjoying the subject. I have such a passion for this subject, but the policies and nature of final year schoolers is tough as it’s based on a ranking system. I have been open and honest to my Year 11 students that year 12 is very hard, exam marking is external and very strict. It may have been my toughness that drove them away. But I can’t help but now question my effectiveness as a history teacher. I will admit this year has been overwhelming with taking leadership duties and creating junior units of history, that I have not put in as much effort for my year 11s as I could have. I have known some history teachers in the past to cause loss of interest in the subject because of how little commitment they had and low quality of teaching. This situation makes me wonder… have I become like them? Have I become one of those teachers who kills interest in the subject? It makes me so disappointed in myself and makes me feel like a fraud.

Trying to rationalise and put this situation in perspective but it is so difficult. I would love some advice on how not to take things that happen in my workplace, so personally.

My dad was a teacher and from everything he’s said, it sounds like teaching is a lot like juggling while walking a tightrope— you have to balance a lot of factors while meeting the demands from multiple parties. I think being a tough teacher is a good thing so long as you are fair. I also think that, while you can do your utmost to make the subject as engrossing as possible, there will still always be some students who do not have the interest. In that case, you’ve done all you can. It sounds like the cards are stacked against you as well since you said that your subject is not mandatory. I personally think that’s disgraceful, as history can teach us many things not just about the past, but how to handle situations in the present, as well as what our future can be if we ignore the lessons of the past. I think being a great teacher is one of the hardest things one can accomplish, next to stabdup comedy and being a great single mom. That’s just me though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
indigo1015 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote