View Single Post
MuddyBoots
Monster on the Hill

Member Since Sep 2020
6,310 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 24, 2024 at 06:06 PM

**If you can, I'd take advantage of the ability to get a cleaner, at least to get everything up to snuff and help with the hard stuff.

Here are something that have helped me with the mental aspect of tidying up:

I'm pretty disorganized and have trouble sticking to one thing for long, but I find tentatively planning on coming over will motivate me to clean up to make it look okay. I'd say something like "hey, I might have a bit of time on Saturday, and if you don't have plans, nothing comes up for you, and nothing comes up for me, maybe you could come by?" I try to get in the mindset someone's coming over and use any negative feelings (shame, sadness, helplessness, anger, whatever) to motivate me to improve things such as the state of my living environment that I can control. I have to have music for certain things too, not even just cleaning. Dishes? Have to have music. Showers? Music necessary. Laundry? Same deal.

I don't go into cleaning thinking "I'm going to clean the house today." I don't even say "I'm going to clean the kitchen." It's "I need to wash the dishes, so I'm going to do that right now." "The five balls of lettuce my dad bought went bad (surprise surprise), and I'm going to throw those out along with anything else bad in the fridge." The idea being split things up into as small tasks as possible, and just trying to do as many as you can and resting when you need to. It's more doable, and if you don't get to doing the whole flat or a whole room, you can still say you did some things and hopefully have a feeling of accomplishment.

A lot of people say you can reward yourself for completing certain tasks. I personally don't like doing this because at one point where I was living was super clean but I was also super drunk the whole time.

If none of that is relevant, I'd just go by **Getting as much help as you can, take control of what you can control and only that, and be aware and listen to your body and mind when they say you need a break. It might be a good idea to get some sort of work on the hoarding too--both improving the manifestations and the mindset behind it.

Hugs from:
bizi, raspberrytorte, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Miss Laura, Nammu, raspberrytorte, unaluna