View Single Post
Embracingtruth

Member Since Oct 2022
26 hugs
given
Default Jul 29, 2024 at 09:13 AM

Careers can be a funny thing. I have two degrees but my wife, who only has her high school diploma, is lapping me on income because she had opportunities afforded her that has allowed her to shine and is well past needing a degree at this point. I'm very happy in my position and make good money, so the difference does not impact me personally. We both enjoy the financial advantages afforded us, which is actually BETTER than being in a situation where one is a liability on the other. Together we have raised a family over 30 years, but I'm the responsible one with money, so the dynamic who makes more is really a wash at the end of the day.

Don't overthink this situation. If you have a solid relationship and a trusted partner, don't throw that away because you have higher professional ambitions than him at the moment. Don't ask him to compete with that because in the long haul, you're asking for a different breed of person than you likely want in a relationship. That passion is also transient and is something you value right now because you're young and it makes you feel good about yourself and your sense of accomplishment. All completely valid, but just ONE component in building your sense of self. Jobs come and go, as do careers. Allot can change over a very short course of time. My wife had many setbacks along the way and was out of work at one point. But I stood behind her and lifted her up and she rebounded. Sometimes a complimentary partner is more about steering the ship and providing a solid foundation so the other can take more risks climbing that ladder of ambitions. You got to see the bigger picture and not just measure it through one lens. Love him for who he is and think about the strengths he brings to your life. It sounds like you're in a good place in your life. One thing I have learned over the years is never to question stability. If anything, covet it. I wish both of you much happiness.
Embracingtruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote