View Single Post

Member Since Jul 2021
1 hugs
given
Default Jul 31, 2024 at 09:48 PM

I've been trying various self-help books lately, and at least one of them seems to be only making things worse for me and my situation. The book I am referring to is called, "The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anger".

Ever since I began reading it and learning strategies, it seems to only be making my anger worse. Just a little while ago, I snapped at my parents (I have schizoaffective disorder and live with my parents). I was complaining about "being a martyr" and told "them", or whoever was listening, to "f**k off".

Then I came up to my room and fumed over it. It really aggravates me that I am not making progress. I attribute my worsening of symptoms to the DBT book on anger that I recently started reading; I am on Chapter 3, and am on the exercise for weighing the pros and cons of anger and working on anger.

There was a self-help book that I found more therapeutic and useful. It's called "The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Psychosis" by Maggie Mullen LCSW. The only problem with it, that I can see, is that it addresses certain aspects of psychotic illness; but when taking anger, for instance, it does nothing for it.

In the chapter for emotion regulation, it gives useful techniques like identifying and validating one's emotions; as well as the survey method for suspiciousness. But the book as a whole fails to address my anger issues.

I like the DBT book on anger, and it seemed like it could have helped me, but now I am having serious doubts about it. Maybe the problem is that I believe I can work out my problems on my own time, such as via the New Harbinger Self-Help Workbooks.

I don't want to admit myself into an outpatient program. I have tried it in the past, but my Mother does not think it is very helpful or relative to my situation. And I agree with her about that. I've been mentally ill for seventeen years in counting. And it's been hell, not only for me, but for my significant others , too.

I am grateful that there is medication for what I have, but I am desperately pining to get better already. I'm done with this s**t.
185329 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
unaluna