View Single Post
Elisah

Member Since Jul 2024
Default Aug 06, 2024 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embracingtruth View Post
Well there's a difference between telling yourself someone was no good and actually believing what you're saying to yourself. Lets use an analogy here to illustrate that point. Lets say you're at a fair and you're starving, so you go to this booth that has the best pictures of food you like and the price is right. Well you order that food to satisfy that hunger. But after trying it, you realize that not only was it not as good as you thought, but you end up getting a really bad stomach ache that puts you on the toilet for a half hour. When that clears up, you're now not only weak from that experience, but you're still weak from not eating good. Are you going back to that same booth because the pictures still look good? Probably not, because emotionally you're no longer tied to the picture of the food, but what eating it did to you. Chances are good you will find a different booth and look closer at the food itself and not rely on pictures.

Now lets use that analogy with this girl. You have this great picture of her in your mind, but what you got was not what you imagined it to be. The picture was better than the reality of the person. So why are you still hung up on the picture? Well its because emotionally you're still trying to reconcile that the experience you received did not add up to the picture you have in your mind. In other words, emotionally you don't want to believe what your mind is telling you, probably because the answers do not give you the satisfaction the picture did. So you really have two courses of action here. You can apply this analogy and see if reason and emotion finally shake hands on why the experience is not worth going through again. Or you can seek her out once more and reexperience that belly ache and possibly get something much worse that finally aligns your emotions with what you mind is telling you. I don't believe its anymore complex than that. Experience is a great teacher! And what I believe is true for all situations is that we don't always fully register the answers to our problems until we have emotionally had enough. Sometimes that requires more than one trip to the booth. I hope this helps.
Do you really recommend me trying to hurt myself more for my emotions to finally align with my thoughts? This does not seem like a healthy solution to me, to be honest... Sorry if I understand it the wrong way, but this is what I'm getting from "Or you can seek her out once more and reexperience that belly ache and possibly get something much worse that finally aligns your emotions with what you mind is telling you", is this sarcastic? Or just the only possibility left in your opinion that you wanted to emphasize somehow?

Because for the other one you suggested, "You can apply this analogy and see if reason and emotion finally shake hands on why the experience is not worth going through again". I still feel like I applied the analogy to my life. I was hurt multiple times by this person. I spent months being hurt by her behaviour in which she ignored me and I was feeling the pain over and over. I was stuck in negative emotions and I feel like despite looking at the disgusting fake pictures of the food with full consciousness of the consequences, I still bought it and ate it and ended up again and again with the same feeling of nausea which never made me leave this stall. It's just like fast food - you love the taste even if it makes you spend hours in toilet afterwards, but your taste for fast food does not change, only your conscious approach to it and self-control can change and stop you from ordering it and that's exactly what I did to save myself from this wicked relationship. And this disgusting food stall seems like my favorite food stall after all the negative experience anyways, I'm used to it, I'm ignoring it, I don't know why. Maybe I did not explain it further in this topic, my apologies for that, but the pain I've experienced while being with her was so heavy I'm literally surprised and confused that it still did not change my attachment for her because I think it should.

This is where the main problem lies - my emotions do not change automatically, when I get hurt, I don't stop loving, how to change them then if trying to rationally explain to myself what's going on does not work? Guess I have some sort of a stockholm syndrome

Thank you so much for replying and the time you spent to think about my issue, I appreciate it a lot
Elisah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Embracingtruth