Rosi700
Grand Member

Member Since Nov 2022
3,439 hugs
given
Default Aug 24, 2024 at 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBoots View Post
But you can have a traumatic childhood AND have bipolar.
@Moose72 I agree with MuddyBoots! Therapists are obliged to diagnose a person from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, DSM 5 (in America) and by ICD-11 (in Europe).

In your visible "profile" you tell that you have had Mania twice and a Mixed episode once. Isn't that about Bipolar disorder? Does only depression have such symptoms?

I am not trying to make you feel unwell with regard to your therapist, only to know that (especially in America) not all who call themselves a therapist have the same level of knowledge. Some have 5 years of education, while others have only 3 years. Some have a specialization on the top of their ground education (more years). Not all therapists are clever enough to set an accurate diagnosis.

Maybe you should take a trip to the library and look into the diagnosis manual? You will soon find that "depression alone" does not include Mania or mixed episodes.That does not mean that you will not benefit from talking about your childhood traumas. That can give you some relief, but not take away your bipolar disorder. What does that mean? It means that talking alone will not set you complete free. Bipolar symptoms can come back later, and if so, you need to know how to behave to tackle the symptoms. (Call doctor for more medication, use CBT or DBT techniques or other ....)?

Remember, bipolar disorder differs from person to person. Some have only a few episodes (or even only one episode of mania), while others have episodes their whole life.

When it comes to me, I do not fulfil the diagnoses on the bipolar spectrum because not all needed symptoms aren't there, but that does not mean that I don't suffer. I have some, what I like to call "traits", that bothers me and probably will be there for my whole life. It is what to do when these symptoms occur that is important to me, how to deal with it.

I hope I haven't scared anyone!

I did benefit from talking therapy, and so does a lot of people, but it is important to take responsibility for one's own unique mental health, to know how to fight back when symptoms occur and to take one's medication as prescribed and not experiment with medication alone.

As long as one does not accept the diagnosis or one's own unique symptoms, one cannot fight against the symptoms when they occur.

Effective Treatments for Bipolar Disorder: Medicine & Therapy

Hugs from:
raspberrytorte