View Single Post
Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,676 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 03, 2024 at 03:56 AM

I got really triggered yesterday by an old college friend to the point where I almost left her at the beach, which would have ruined the whole afternoon we had planned together.

Backstory: we had been planning a get together since last spring. We talked back then on the phone about kayaking, or maybe a concert together, and meeting up somewhere halfway between where we live.

Well, finally, we made a plan about 2-3 weeks ago to meet up at a beach spot existing between us.

I had assumed since we had spoken last spring about a get together, that it would just be the two of us meeting up. We are old college buds afterall, and we rarely have the chance to see each other so we've been long overdue for a visit.

Well, without asking me first or telling me, she decided to bring her 15-year old son with her yesterday. I was only informed of this as I was already in my car driving north to meet her.

This threw me off and I got kinda mad on my drive. I texted to let her know it wasn't what I had anticipated, while also telling her it was fine and we would have a good time.

However, just as I had expected, her attention was moreso on her 15 year old son than on catching up with me. And this is when the trigger started. He had brought a paddleboard and was in the water with it. I was trying to explain and communicate a long-ish story to my friend, yet she was standing and watching him instead, telling me that maybe she should go to him and wondering if he was OK.

So I had to say to her: he's fine! He's 15, he will be just fine on his own! Then I informed her that I was trying to tell her a story but she's too distracted by her son. I may have also blurted out that I was upset that she didn't forewarn me that she was bringing her son.

Immediately, she bristled and became very defensive, telling me that none of her other friends minded this kind of thing. So I calmly explained that my preference was that she at least tell me ahead of time, or ask me if it's OK if he joins us for our day together. Well, she did not take that feedback very well, and that's when I became so triggered that I had to leave her and take a walk down the beach by myself.

At which point, I called my mother and 2 other friends, so triggered and thinking I should just leave the 2 of them at the beach and drive home at that point. I was that upset.

Finally I walked back to where she was sitting, and she apologized. Her apology softened me and I was able to calm down to stay with her and continue our afternoon.

We caught up a bit more, but I did leave 4 hours after meeting up and decided to head back home. I determined that 4 hours was plenty enough time to have spent.

Her son was great, don't get me wrong. In fact, he was adorable and very cool to hang out with. I told her this, too, and made sure to let her know that it was wonderful to meet her son.

But still, the confrontation I had with her not informing me of him joining us kinda soured the whole experience for me. I had driven a total of 3 hours round trip for this visit with my friend.

She texted later that next time, we can plan on a girls only ski day this winter. We did talk about going skiing together. So, she did understand, but in the heat of the moment of me being triggered and communicating my upset, she had become defensive.

This makes me wonder how I communicate when I am triggered. It may come out to others as a very condemning, harsh tone of judgement and blame. I mean, she became defensive and one reason people become defensive is if they feel attacked in some way.

So now I am wondering if I resort to being on the offensive and come across as attacking someone when I am triggered?

I know that when I am triggered, people often do become defensive with me in response.

Then again, when I am triggered, it's often because I feel disrespected by that person and call them out on their disrespectful behavior.

9 times out of 10, the person in question cannot handle my direct and honest feedback and commonly will deflect responsibility for their actions and/or go on the attack on me...

Which then for me, begs the question: is it me being overly emotional and reactive, or is it that generally speaking, certain types of people cannot handle being called out on their bad behavior??

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote