View Single Post
Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,681 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 04, 2024 at 04:47 AM

Ok, another incident occurred, but this time, with an old childhood girlfriend that I reconnected with a year ago on Facebook after 35+ years. Back then, she and I became best friends in junior high school. We went our separate ways after we moved onto high school. We attended different schools, and then we totally lost touch after that.

Well, she reappeared on Facebook last year and we reconnected. We got together only twice, once for lunch and once for kayaking. The lunch we had was more of a cocktail and catch up lunch that went on for several hours.

She had married and was amidst divorcing a narcissist at the time. At lunch, I was astounded at the completely different person in front of me. In junior high school, this girl had been a rock star- a straight A student and star athlete - to boot, she was very beautiful and seemed to have it all. BUT, the adult woman 35+ years later sitting in front of me at lunch was a sad mess of a person with obvious low self esteem. She was dating toxic men through her divorce, and couldn't see the toxicity when I pointed it out to her.

Anyways, I attempted other get togethers with her, and she would confirm then canceled multiple times, so we only had those 2 times together, then she disappeared for the next year.

Fast forward to this past summer - she resurfaces and contacts me out of the blue, wanting to get together for any local music show. I attempted multiple times to invite her with me, but she declined every time.

Fast forward to end of the summer - her schedule finanlly allowed us to get together for a lunch, cocktails, and catch-up time this past weekend. We agreed to meet on Sat.

Well, I came down with horrible laryngitis, and had to cancel plans with her kind of last minute on Friday. She had done that to me multiple times last year, so I figured she would understand.

I did have other Labor Day weekend plans that I kept despite my condition of laryngitis. I canceled with her in knowing that sitting at a lunch drinking cocktails with her would likely turn into yet another 3-4 hour talking fest, which would strain my voice and probably make me lose it even more. I kept my other plans, however.

So Labor Day weekend I saw a couple of different bands and I drove to Maine to see a girlfriend from college, the one I wrote about above. Yes, my voice was still hoarse and strained,. but she and I had made this plan several weeks ago, and I didn't want to cancel on her. We also hadn't seen each other in several years.

Well, so I did post photos of my weekend on Facebook - of the 2 bands I saw and of my friend and I at the beach in Maine.

So, this childhood girlfriend saw my Facebook posts, and thought that I must have lied to her about my laryngitis. So, she wrote the most snarky, sarcastic and passive aggressive comment on one of my posts. I replied and explained myself. Then I texted her individually to follow up privately with her about it.

She did not reply until later that evening. I confronted her on her Facebook comment, telling her that to me, it sounded very snarky, very sarcastic and passive aggressive, and asked if that was how she meant it to be. She replied with, well you had plenty of room for other plans this weekend. So, that confirmed to me that yes, her comment on my facebook post was meant exactly as I had interpreted it.

I promptly reacted and told her that I don't need more toxic people and toxic crap in my life, that I did not deserve that kind of comment, I said take care, and then I blocked her.

Oh, and before that had occurred, I had sent her a voice recording of just how bad my laryngitis is.

So now the next morning, I am seething from this latest experience with yet another toxic person.

I am just so done. I have had it with these types of f'ed up people that come into my life. F*uk it and F *uk them. F*uk her while I am at it. I am just plain DONE.

The more I explore and venture on my own trying to make new friends, the more I see just how many people in this world are toxic. And it's totally freaking me out.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SquarePegGuy