Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,674 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 06, 2024 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
I’m maybe the wrong person to comment on this but I do keep my world pretty close to me these days, family, couple of dear friends. Sure, have more friends but keep expectations down, a lot of people are almost entirely self motivated in my experience- even the otherwise nice ones, in fact I think our cultures encourage it. That’s my take. Maybe I’m pessimistic, some might say, I feel I’m more realistic.

Nothing wrong in keeping your world a bit smaller for a while, nurture who and what you have true connections with. Just my take.
Hi @Discombobulated, and thank you for your post!

I am of a similar mindset as you. To expand even further, we have entered into a world of rising technology, social media, and now AI. There are more scammers than ever before, and the rise of the Internet and technology have created this. Mean people and bullies hide behind their computers, while lashing out and projecting all their anger and rage onto innocent nice people.

I see this as only getting worse as AI takes over. I am certainly now far more cautious and deliberate than I've ever been when it comes to confiding in people and/or befriending new people I come across.

I want to hold my loved ones tight and close to me, and distance from all those who do not have my best interests at heart.

My girlfriend in Maine the other day really took me by surprise with her behavior towards me.

And when I reached out to a mutual college girlfriend of ours and told her of my experience with this girlfriend in Maine who had been prickly with me? Our mutual friend's response was nearly as surprising to me - she told me "well, she's not that way with me". So, I replied telling her that this statement only just serves to make me feel incredibly low and bad, and I told her that this is exactly what she does to me. Her response to me next was a gaslighting reply. She wrote "sorry you feel that way". I've researched this kind of reply, and it's toxic- it's a non-apology that deflects all responsibility, and is a very typical narc response.

This particular other college girlfriend I have suspected as being a narcissist, for some time now, without full validation yet. She has an air of superiority ALWAYS, and speaks to me as though I am 5 years old and that she must educate me about the ways of the world. And I do. know she is deeply insecure.. like DEEPLY. So I think she overcompensates and always has to be the superior one.

So, after her gaslighting comment, it sealed the deal for me, and I determined that she, too, is toxic for me.

This now equates to FIVE toxic women in FOUR months that I've determined I must sever relations with.

Even my college friend in Maine I would say is toxic. At least her behavior towards me was toxic the other day.

She is dealing with a narcissist husband, so I know from personal experience that the toxicity of that relationship dynamic can unknowingly seep inside and then express itself outwardly towards others. I am sure she doesn't mean to do this, but it's how the toxic marriage is expressing itself through her.

And my other college gf who gaslit me? GOODBYE. I decided I am DONE with her.

Sorry, I did not mean to unload, and I guess I just did! LOL.

Thank you again for your reply and input.. greatly appreciated.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SquarePegGuy

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated