View Single Post
splitimage
Community Support Team

Member Since Mar 2006
79 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 06, 2024 at 08:06 AM

I feel kind of dumb, but I was scammed yesterday. Someone called claiming to be from Bell and said they were working on connections and needed to check my modem speed. I had some doubts but they sounded legit so I followed their instructions on my laptop. Long story short, this somehow allowed them to access my laptop and they were able to get into my on-line banking where they sent two transfers out of my account, essentially wiping out my balance. the good news is, I checked my on-line balance soon after the call, saw the transfers, and was able to call my bank's security department and they were able to cancel the transactions so I didn't lose any money. But I had to change all my passwords, everywhere, and I need to completely change everything associated with my on-line banking which is a bit of a pain, but a small price compared to what could have happened. So as a cautionary tale be super skeptical of anyone asking you to access stuff on your computer.

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favourite hymn.

"If you see the wonder in a fairy tale, you can take the future even if you fail." Abba

splitimage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, FloatThruThis, Ford Puma, mar dhea, mote.of.soul, Nammu, nonightowl, unaluna

Thanks for this!
FloatThruThis, mar dhea, nonightowl