View Single Post
lowselfesteem92

Member Since Jul 2011
Angry Sep 10, 2024 at 06:13 AM

I teach a student who all year, has had a poor, sour attitude towards me which has made it really hard to form a connection. I’m talking eye rolls, talking back and not accepting constructive feedback.

Recently, the student got their assessment result back on an essay. They did not do well, but insisted they should have got 20% higher, even when I pointed out the flaws and where they could have improved.

They felt the need to be a bit honest too, making remarks that insinuated how their previous history teacher was better. Also made a remark that I do not handle conflict situations properly, using a scenario where another student erupted into hysterics and this particular student in question blamed me and said I tried to humiliate the hysterical student.

Their comment also led to them stating that I was condescending when I asked her if she was okay, during the assessment when I sensed she was about to have a breakdown. Based on a previous experience, this student is prone to severe anxiousness during assessments and all I was doing was making sure they were okay.

They made some comment about how I engage in inappropriate conversation with the male students and when asked about a scenario where this has occurred, the student mentioned when some of the boys teased their friend about having a girlfriend and I encouraged it.

Apparently they’re on the spectrum with autism but I really need some advice on how to approach this? I have the urge to put this student in their place because I’m quite done with their lack of respect for professional decisions made by me, and constantly not taking accountability for being incorrect. This amongst other comments have infuriated me at the way this student has treated me, as a teacher and professional.

How do I put her in her place without looking like an emotionally immature adult that can’t hold everything together? It’s really upset me today and has made me furious at how toxic and malevolent this person is.
lowselfesteem92 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote