View Single Post
SquarePegGuy
Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2020
104 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 11, 2024 at 09:42 PM

Hi @jesyka, I sense that this upsets you -- I'm sorry about that.

There's a lot to reply to here. Let me start with agreeing with @Yaowen who wrote,
Quote:
"mental illness was ultimately psychological traits that caused a person to be unemployed or unemployable.
The goal of psychotherapy was to enable to person with certain traits and habits to be employable again."
If you can carry out activities of daily living, you don't get the DX.

But I wonder, why be insulted? This might be an idea to explore. I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, and I really don't want to upset you (nor you, Yaowen), but taking insult suggests to me that you feel there's something bad or undesirable about autism.

My daughter was DXed at age 3.5 years. The behavior that led us to seek evaluation was OCD. Perhaps it's because I might be "on the spectrum" that I didn't find her quirky, detached behaviors to be anything significant.

And because it's a spectrum, it may be that nearly all of us have some very minor autistic tendencies at some point. Maybe these tendencies will be more apparent when we're tired, hungry or stressed.

I'll stop here. Maybe I stepped over the line. I hope not. Peace

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated